Using castor oil for hair care is one of the oldest known beauty treatments and dates back to ancient Egyptian times. The oil contains a wide variety of the minerals and fatty acids which are essential for growing strong and healthy hair. Castor oil is a clear, colorless, thick and luxurious oil that is jam-packed with the nutrients obtained from castor bean seeds (Ricinus Communis) by pressing them to extract the oil.
Castor Oil for Hair: The Top 7 Beneficial Uses
Castor Oil for Hair Growth
Since castor oil has rejuvenating properties, it can help stimulate the growth of hair by increasing circulation in your scalp. The increased blood circulation caused by the castor oil will improve the flow of nutrients to your hair, helping it to grow.
The following is a short tutorial on how to use castor oil for Hair Growth:
- Separate your hair into manageable sections
- Rub castor oil onto your exposed scalp, making sure to massage the oil in for a few minutes
- Cover your head with a shower cap and let it sit for a few hours or overnight
- Wash off the oil and repeat the procedure at least 2-4 times a week for maximum results
Castor Oil for Hair Re-growth
To use castor oil for hair re-growth, it will usually need to be mixed with coconut, emu or olive oil, as castor oil on its own is very thick and viscous. Follow these instructions to use castor oil for hair re-growth:
- Mix castor oil with olive oil, coconut oil, or emu oil in a 50:50 ratio
- Part your hair into manageable sections
- Apply the castor oil mixture to the hair sections and the scalp until all your hair is covered
- Wrap your hair and let the mixture sit for 3 hours or overnight.
- Wash your hair and marvel at how soft and manageable it is.
To achieve optimal results when using castor oil for hair re-growth, you should follow the above procedure 3 to 4 times a week for a few weeks.
Castor Oil for Hair Darkening
Some people want to make their hair appear darker and richer, and castor oil can also help with this. The nutrients and the humectant effects of the oil help the hair retain moisture and make it look darker. Take a pea-sized amount of the oil, mix it with your leave-in hair conditioner or hair mousse and distribute evenly through your hair.