Castor oil has many health and beauty benefits, including keeping the skin looking healthy and young. It should not come as a surprise that castor oil is also used for the prevention, treatment and healing of acne, as well as for minimizing the appearance of acne scars. This oil (which is produced by castor beans), has been widely used throughout the centuries and is a safe and cheap means of ensuring acne-free skin. Read on to learn how castor oil for acne works, and how you can benefit from it.
Castor Oil for Acne Prevention and Treatment
Acne is caused by irritation of the skin due to accumulated impurities which cause the skin to become inflamed. Castor oil for acne treatment works by drawing dirt out of the skin, making it one of the best natural remedies for acne. Castor oil is fantastic at drawing out bacteria, dirt, dead skin cells, excess oil and other impurities lodged in the pores, and the bonus part is, it does not clog pores. Castor oil is a highly effective acne treatment and is often used with the ‘oil cleansing method’. Oil cleansing involves the use of castor oil to cleanse the skin. The oil penetrates the skin, for deep cleaning that targets most of the causes of acne.
How to use Castor Oil for Acne Prone Skin
The following is a step-by-step method of how to use castor oil for acne-prone skin, for prevention of acne, as well as for acne treatment:
- Prepare some towels and a pot of steaming water
- Hold the towel over your head and lean your face over the steaming water
- After a few minutes, your pores will open up and will be ready for the castor oil treatment.
- Rub the oil into the acne-affected areas in gentle circular motions
- Use a damp, warm towel to wipe the castor oil from your skin
- Rinse skin with cold or cool water to help shrink the pores
- Pat your skin dry and a use a small amount of castor oil as a moisturizer
This therapy is effective for skin with acne if used daily for a period of 10-14 days. Results may vary by individual. If used as a form of acne prevention, the recommended frequency is 1-2 times a week, and this process can be substituted in place of your usual skin care regime.